Business Across Borders 2021

5 Exports have played an important role in India’s growth story, especially during the past two decades. Following the liberalization in 1991, the rapid growth of exports has played a significant role in accelerating India’s economic growth. Exports currently contribute to about 18-19% of India’s GDP. The fact that amid a pandemic situation, India was shipping vaccines to more than 60 countries is one among many examples of the resilience of the Indian exporter fraternity. As an acknowledgement to the spirit of Indian exporters, Dun & Bradstreet is pleased to launch the inaugural edition of its publication ‘Business Across Borders 2021’ . The publication is an endeavor to recognize the country’s leading exporters. The publicationprovides an exhaustive listing of the leading ~1,400 exporters across India and profiles 500 of the most noteworthy players among them. These businesses represent all the sectors of the economy, i.e., manufacturing, services, trading and mining. Some of the key highlights of Indian exports that have been covered in this publication are as under: - • Out of the ~1,400 companies being listed in this publication, Naina R Acharya Associate Director - Data Operations, LEIG Dun & Bradstreet India Executive Summary about 74% belong to the manufacturing sector. Further, within the manufacturing sector, the chemical and pharmaceutical sectors constitute 13% each of the coverage, equipment machinery constitutes 11% and the textile industry accounts for another 8%. • The aggregate total income of the featured companies reflects a 22% growth during FY19. Likewise, the aggregate net profit also grew handsomely during the year, by 30%. This growth was largely driven by the Pharmaceuticals, IT and ITeS, Chemicals and Textile sectors. • India’s merchandise exports grew by 9% in FY19 (inUS$ terms), whichwas led by growth in pharmaceutical, chemicals and engineering sectors. However, in FY20, it declined by 5%. The decline was largely due to disruptions caused by global slowdown and geopolitical tensions, which got further aggravated with the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic. • During April-December FY2021 (during the peak period of pandemic) India’s merchandise exports witnessed a drop of 16% (in US$ terms), its sharpest decline in decades. However, growth in export of agriculture and allied products, drugs and pharmaceutical, metal and mineral sectors kept a further fall in check. With the unlocking of the domestic economy from June onwards, India’s exports witnessed a gradual revival. The publication also sheds light on the global trade scenario, threats and opportunities for Indian export fraternity in the post-pandemic world and the initiatives by the government, such as Production-Linked Incentive (PLI) scheme, various digital initiatives and fast-tracking of physical infrastructure at ports that would help in boosting exports going forward. Dun & Bradstreet India will continue to keep track of the developments in the global trade scenario through future editions of the publication. We are confident that this publication will serve as a reliable source of reference to the exporter community and key stakeholders in India’s foreign trade ecosystem. Dun & Bradstreet’s global footprint will ensure that the success stories of the Indian export fraternity will reach all relevant stakeholders across the globe. We look forward to receiving your feedback and suggestions. Dun & Bradstreet